Monday 1 September 2014

A short history of nearly everything by Bill Bryson

Firstly, lets talk about Bill Bryson as an author and in my opinion his writing has the ability to attract all readers that share a common interest in general science. That is the thing I love about him even though the book is based on science it is still digestible. Maybe it is his clever writing skills, because even when he goes in depth about the more difficult topics I never find it boring.

This book covers; the cosmos, the universe, there is discussion about the size of the universe, Einstein's theory of relativity, The big bang and much more. The beauty of a book like this is that all the chapters are linked to each other. However there is still a freedom to read the book in the order that interests you. That is definitely the way I read this book.

Thirdly, and the most beneficial factor of reading this book is the understanding of the universe that I now have and am able to share with the people around me. It is like a magic trick I use to spice up a boring conversation and tends to lead meaningful talks and a better understanding of the person I am conversing with. In my opinion, it is a book that every should read and not enough people realise the beauty that surrounds them and this book is something that showed me how to comprehend it all.

My favourite part of this book are chapters that cover the solar system, the universe and cosmos. This is because for me, looking at night sky at all the stars I feel two emotions simultaneously. I feel a part of a big meaning which makes my problems seem more manageable but at the same time I feel alone in the big space of nothing we live on. I think a lot of people feel the same and that is why small fact of estimations like the number of stars in the milky way (which is between hundred billion to four hundred billion) interests me, for it connects to a feeling I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment